Star Auto (Australia) Pty Ltd (we, us or our) is an organisation and "APP Entity" for the purposes of the Privacy Act 1988 (Act), and is subject to the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Act.
This Policy is intended to cover most personal information handled by us, but is not exhaustive. If you have any queries about our handling of your personal information, please contact us for further information.
We will collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so, and will limit the personal information we collect to that which is reasonably necessary for our functions or activities.
We collect a range of personal information about customers and other individuals who deal with us. This may include (depending on the circumstances) customers' names, email addresses, telephone numbers, occupations, registration and driver's licence details, financial information, and current and past vehicle information.
We may collect this information when:
• you send us an e-mail or otherwise contact us, including through our website, a social media platform, or our customer support centres;
• you order a product or service from us;
• you participate in any competitions or promotions we may run;
• you apply for employment with us;
• you attend our premises; or
We do not generally collect (or, if it is provided by you to us, retain) any sensitive information about you.
If you fail to provide personal information requested by us, there may be a range of consequences, for example we may not be able to respond to your enquiry or otherwise assist or transact with you. There will not usually be Australian laws or court/tribunal orders which require or authorise us to collect your personal information.
We may, in some circumstances, collect personal information about you from third parties, in which case we will take reasonable steps to notify you of that information and the circumstances of its collection. Some specific circumstances in which we collect personal information from third parties include obtaining information from other members of Star Auto's corporate group, from the Austroads Ltd’s National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System if we are conducting a recall, and/or from government bodies such as enforcement or regulatory authorities.
We will generally only use your personal information for the purpose for which we collected it, and for related purposes we consider would be within your reasonable expectations.
We generally use your personal information to:
• provide the service requested, respond to your enquiries, send you information that you request, or otherwise achieve the purpose for which the information was submitted to us;
• facilitate the sale of our products or services;
• contact you to invite you to events (such as a new program we are launching) or inform you about new services we provide;
• conduct market research, marketing or promotional activities;
• help us plan for the future by using some information for administrative purposes such as statistical information with such statistical information being de-identified;
• engage in other activities where required or permitted by law;
Where we propose to use your personal information for another purpose other than as outlined above, we will usually seek your permission (unless we are required or permitted by law to do so without seeking consent).
We will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
For example, information stored on our computer network is protected by our security access policies and procedures.
We undertake regular monitoring of our practices and systems to ensure the effectiveness our security policies and identify and implement improvements where appropriate.
We will endeavour to destroy or de-identify your personal information as soon as it is no longer required by us (where permitted by law).
You may contact us to request access to or correction of the personal information about you that we hold. We may refuse to allow access or to amend your personal information if we are legally required or entitled to do so. If we do so, we will provide you with written reasons for the refusal (unless it is unreasonable to do that) together with information about the options available to complain about the refusal.
We may require you to pay certain costs in order to access your personal information held by us. We will advise the amount payable (if any) once we have assessed your application for access. We will not however charge a fee for you to lodge a request for access to or correction of your personal information.
If you lodge a request for access to your personal information, we may fulfil that request in any of a range of ways (for example, by supplying you with a copy of that personal information or providing you with the opportunity to inspect our records). We may require you to comply with certain procedures before we allow access to or amendment of your personal information to ensure the integrity and security of information that we hold. Depending on the nature of your request, this may include verifying your identity to our satisfaction.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we collect, use and/or disclose is accurate, up-to-date and complete and relevant. If we are satisfied that any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, we will amend our records accordingly.
Please notify us if your personal details change so that we may keep our records current.
We take steps to ensure that we collect personal information by lawful means, and obtain your personal information in various ways, such as but not limited to the following:
• when you contact or correspond with us;
• when you attend one of our premises;
• when you visit an authorised dealership to test drive or purchase a vehicle or have your vehicle serviced or repaired;
• if you order a product or service from us;
• from third party roadside assistance service providers;
via our websites if you choose to supply the information to us by entering your information into the interactive sections on our websites (for example, enquiry forms, message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, social networking features and the like). Please be aware that any information you post or disclose on these websites may be available to other site visitors and the general public (depending on the privacy settings you have in place);
• when you attend a product focus group or review a product;
• via social media;
• from competitions or promotions you have participated in or our events you have attended;
• from publicly available sources (including but not limited to commercially available sources such as data aggregators and public databases) and also information that you or others may post about yourself online e.g. social media pages. This information may include things like name, demographic, interests and other publically observed data. We (or our service provider on our behalf) may combine this information from information with other information including information we collect directly from you. We may also associate information about your use of our digital services over time with your personal information, e.g. where on any occasion you have logged in, followed a link sent to you by email or where we have otherwise been able to identify you;
• from third party service providers;
• when you apply for work with us;
• from other Daimler Group companies; and/or
• from enforcement and regulatory authorities;
Where you provide personal information about other individuals to us (for example, joint owners, family members or referees), we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to us and tell them about this Privacy Statement.
For information about what cookies are and how we may use them, please refer to our Cookies statement on our website.
If you believe that a breach of your privacy has occurred, we encourage you to contact us to discuss your concerns. Our contact details can be found in section 7 below.
Your complaint will be considered and dealt with by our Marketing Manager. The Marketing Manager may escalate the complaint internally within our organisation if the matter is serious or if necessary to resolve it.
Please allow us a reasonable time to respond to your compliant. If you are not satisfied with our resolution, you may make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, whose contact details can be found at: http://www.oaic.gov.au
You may contact us if you require further information about the ways we manage your personal information.
135 Kings Way South Melbourne, 3205
By phone: (03) 9690 8833
By email: Anna.email@example.com