Eating well shouldn't be a luxury.
This year has probably seen us all eat in far more than we would have thought. That doesn’t mean we should miss out on great food experiences.
With shorter days and cold nights a winter warmer of a meal can be innovative yet deliver familiar comforting tastes.
Shannon Bennett’s chicken stuffed onions are deceptively simple and yet decadently moreish.
“Cosying up with tasty treats is one of the pleasures of winter nights. My chicken stuffed onions take favourite ingredients and mix up the presentation to deliver tasty treats that will have the whole family asking for more. When you have to cook at home, it should be fun, tasty and full of goodness.”
Chicken Stuffed Onions recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Servings: 10 - 12
Appliance and Function: Fan Plus, Fan Grill
• 4 large onions, unpeeled, halved crossways
• 1.5kg good-quality chicken sausages, casings removed
• 2 bunches sage, leaves picked, half finely chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, crushed
• 150g fresh breadc rumbs
• 60ml extra virgin olive oil
• Murray River Salt Flakes
Baby parsley leaves
1. Pre-heat the Grill to 300°C, or Grill setting 3.
2. Place onions, cut-side down, on a multi-purpose tray and grill on shelf position 5, checking occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onion skins are burnt. Set aside to cool.
3. When cool enough to handle, discard skin and carefully separate the onion layersto make cups (you may need to trim the onion roots to separate layers. This leavesa hole, don’t worry, stuffing won’t fall through). Arrange onion cups, cup-side up, across a paper lined baking tray.
4. Pre-heat Oven on Fan Plus at 180°C.
5. Combine chicken meat, half the chopped sage, garlic and half teaspoon salt flakesin a bowl and divide among onion cups. Toss breadcrumbs and remaining chopped sage in a bowl and scatter over onions. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and set aside.
6. Roast onions for 20 minutes, add the rest of the sage leaves and drizzle with oil. Bake for a further 10 minutes, or until filling is cooked through and bread crumb sare golden.
7. Transfer onions to a serving platter and scatter with salt flakes, crispy sage and baby parsley leaves to serve.
Hints and Tips:
Onions can be grilled a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator until required.